IBE promoted integrative decision-making and systems thinking, and facilitated the LEED documentation process, for the revitalization of Colorado State University’s Lory Student Center.
The Lory Student Center is the heart of the campus and the center of student life at Colorado State University. This project included the renovation of 160,000 square feet of existing space and added approximately 40,000 square feet of new space. The exterior additions and renovations provided a substantial change in both the visual quality and energy performance of the exterior, and the team replaced the 50-year-old mechanical system with energy-efficient systems.
IBE helped to refine the overall sustainability goals of the project and to identify key strategies and technologies for achieving those goals. IBE also engaged with CSU faculty and staff to investigate the possible integration of research projects into the project.
- 17% energy cost reduction
- 35% water use reduction
- 56% of existing building maintained
- 21% recycled/salvaged materials
- 100% of the building’s electricity offset by the purchase of renewable energy credits (RECs)
- Educational signage to create occupant awareness of the building’s high-performance features and green building strategie